- 2018 – present: Trustee, Clark County Law Library Board
- 2017 – present: Member, Statewide Guardianship Commission
- 2011 – present: Elected District Court Judge Family Court Judge, Department S
- Appointed to the Nevada State Welfare Board
- Licensed in State Courts of Nevada, Federal Court of Nevada, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member of the Board of Governors, State Bar of Nevada (2009-2011)
- First Hispanic Deputy Attorney General for Nevada (1979)
- Alternate Municipal Court Judge, City of North Las Vegas
- Alternate Hearing Master, Juvenile Court, Clark County, Nevada
- Arbitrator for Clark County District Court (1996-2008)
- Alternate Domestic Violence Commissioner
- Private law practice for 31 years and bilingual contract attorney for Juvenile Court for over 26 years
2011 – Present: Family Court Judge, Department S
1982 – 2010: Private practice of Law. Practice specializing in Personal Injury, Workers Compensation, Immigration and Family Law Arbitrator for District Court since 1996. Alternate Hearing Master for Juvenile Court; Hearing Master for Truancy Court
Bi-lingual contract attorney for Juvenile Court for over twenty-six years having appeared before Judge John Mendoza, Judge John S. McGroarty, Judge Terry Marren, Judge Miriam Shearing, Judge Gerald W. Hardcastle, Judge Cynthia Dianne Steel and Judge William O. Voy. I represent minors in plea negotiations, trials and review and disposition of their delinquent cases. I have handled adult certification cases.
I have conducted four Federal Court criminal jury trials; I have handled ten cases in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In State District Court, I have handled five civil jury trials. In addition, I have handled over five hundred bench trials in Family Court, Municipal Court and Juvenile Court.
2007 – 2009: Public Attorney for Las Vegas Municipal Court, to Department 5, appearing before Honorable Judge Kerns. Handled misdemeanors, domestic violence, DUI, petty larceny and trespass cases.
2006 – 2007: Public Attorney for Las Vegas Municipal Court, to Department 3, appearing before Honorable Judge George Assad. Handled misdemeanors, domestic violence, DUI, petty larceny and trespass cases.
2005 – 2010: I have been court appointed to represent parents in abuse and neglect cases and termination of parental rights cases including appeals to the Nevada Supreme Court.
2002 – 2004: Public Attorney for Las Vegas Municipal Court, Department 2, appearing before Honorable Judge Betsy Kolkowski and Department 4, Judge Bert Brown. Judge Ochoa handled representation for defendants in misdemeanor cases, domestic violence, DUI, petty larceny and trespass cases.
1980 – 1982: Deputy Attorney with the Attorney General’s Office, State of Nevada. Counsel to Nevada State Welfare Division. Duties included representing Welfare Division in administrative fair hearings regarding personnel matters. abuse/neglect cases and in termination of parental rights.
1979 – 1980: Counsel with the law firm of John Peter Lee, Ltd., Las Vegas, Nevada. Duties were those of an attorney in a private practice that specializes in commercial litigation.
1978 – 1979: Law Clerk for Honorable Judge John F. Mendoza, Eighth Judicial District Court, Las Vegas, Nevada. Duties were those of legal assistance to the Chief Judge of the Eighth Judicial District Court and included preparation of memorandums on cases before the Court.
1977 – 1978: National Center for Law and the Handicapped, Legal to August, 1978 Intern; worked primarily in Employment Law, Sections 501, 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
I have advised handicapped individuals and their attorneys throughout the country of possible causes of action.
Performed legal research on issues of first impression; strong emphasis on administrative law, including Legislative drafting and preparing comments on State and Federal legislation.
Attended numerous conference-workshops as a speaker- participant:
– President’s Committee on Employment of the Handicapped, Washington, D.C.
– Employment Discrimination Seminar, Cincinnati, Ohio
– Affirmative Action Forum, University of Missouri
Former Member of Clark County Legal Aid Board of Directors
Board Member of the Nevada Association of Latin Americans (NAA), 1992 – 1988.
Former Member of the Latin American Bar Association, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1982 – 1986.
Vice-Chairman of Nevada Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, 1982 – 1984.
Volunteer for MDA Lock-Up 2005. Fundraiser for Muscular Dystrophy Summer Camp Program.
Member of Nevada Trial Lawyers Association
Former Member of Board of Governors, State Bar of Nevada May 2009-2010
Appointed to the Nevada State Welfare Board by Governor Miller